« Home | Transcend Yoga & the Karma Krew » | Red Man Triathlon » | Keith Fox Yoga Update » | Keep Palm Beach Beautiful » | THREE LAWS OF MOTION » | First Day of School » | Growth » | Madonnasana » | Home » | Giving and Sharing with our Neighbors »

What do you see?

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you have read down a few posts it's fairly easy to note that I love to sit back and muse about the why's and how's of life. Who, what, where, and when is just as fascinating and mind blowing. To sit and ponder over situations and struggle with understanding the "bigger picture" is a source of frustration and then pleasure when the spark finally happens. It is a joy being exposed to the wisdom of my peers. Peers can be the very young, i.e., my daughters, to the not so young, i.e., my mom and dad. My daughters share their insights which are clear and free of judgment. I pray they hang onto their convictions and council them to "work on your insides and the beauty will shine through". My elders have much wisdom to share, through personal experience or through insight softened by living life. Just like the potter's clay, great hands reach down and smooth out our intentions, create depth to our soul, and finely seal out the gaps and bumps of failures. What is left is a piece of art unique, glorious, and complete. As Michelangelo once responded to the question of how he created such lifelike sculptures, his response was that he just cut away what didn't belong on the already completed block of stone.

What can we as a human being do to help the process along? Take time out for ourselves. My yoga practice is anywhere from 15 minutes in the morning to 2 hours of sweating in the afternoon. The common denominator here is that my practice is consistent. I try. And wake up the next day and try again, for as long as I can allow.

Imagine for a moment you are focusing on a large blank piece of white paper draped in front of your vision. What do you see? Right.
Now, image that same piece of white paper with a small black dot in the middle. What do you see? Black dot! Black dot! Black dot! Or, as Austin Powers said in Goldmember, Moley Moley Moley! I wonder what my daughters would say. Or my parents? Does life teach you to focus on the black dot? How about lifestyle? Personality? Is it the angle that you are staring at the paper? What about poor eyesight? Is the solution as something as simple as taking a step back, or as complicated as changing a personality that is wired as a pessimistic detail oriented perfectionist? OH I could marinade on this for hours.

What is the point (dot), right? I'll take a stab. The point (dot) is (this better be good) nothing. That's right, nothing. It is mental acrobatics to broaden the awareness and to allow for this moment a pause of expectations or labels. Seeing through all eyes. How fun. And that is yoga. Just be. Namaste.

About Me

  • I'm Heather
  • From Florida, United States
  • Graduated from Florida Atlantic University BS in Business. Certified Public Accountant. Mother of 2 daughters.
Join Our Mailing List
Email: