« Home

My First Day


Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

They say that we are the sum total of our life’s experiences and events. What we bring to the proverbial table is our own juxtaposition of memories and lessons learned along the way. Sir Winston Churchill had it right when he said we are ever improving. At least that is my fervent wish. I started my yoga journey on a morning almost five years ago while looking for socks under the couch. Steve Ross was on the television (www.steveross.com) inviting me to “get up, and let’s do some yoga”. Well, ok, the laundry can wait, at least until the commercials play. Steve’s easy demeanor and carefree instruction eased me into and out of the asanas even as my thighs twitched and my shoulders burned. Some days I cursed the television while other days a slight shift would occur. Slight. Shift. Fast-forward a few years and the page reads the same only this time there is lightness and joy, which has replaced the socks and the burn. Don’t get me wrong, some days the mat is not my friend, but isn’t that the case with any gratifying relationship? We are not the same every day physically or mentally. And it is in that place of movement and uncertainty that we make the greatest gains. That coupled with a healthy dose of curiosity and great mentors and teachers.

So the challenge is posed.

I live in southeast Florida. The yoga community is growing every year with new studios opening and vibrant instructors adding their own flavor to the mix. The path of discovery is gratifying. Coming from an individual whose schooling is financial with a license as a certified public accountant, the path to yogic enlightenment from “why” to “why not” has been a leap of faith. My life has brought me to this moment. My goal is to discover great yoga wherever the path leads and to share this information with whoever fancies this sort of thing. Why not. Namaste~